Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mexican Cheeses

Mexican Cheeses
I am sure you have noticed them in the store. Recently I spent some time in California. And while there I was exposed to some mexican cheeses. I liked the Queso Fresco cheese; salty mild to no flavor and easy to crumble. Melts well when used in casserole, or enchiladas. We tried another cheese, but I can't remember the name it was more yellow than the queso fresco and had a richer flavor. Super good. I also tried Mexican sour cream; very tasty a little bit more sour and runny. It is fabulous with fish taco's and a little lime juice. 
One of my favorite combinations is on tostadas. 

Here is my Tostada recipe:
2 can's of black beans, choriso cooked together. 
I usually add butter and a teaspoon of cilantro.
Queso Fresco crumbled
Sour Cream
tomato's or salsa
tostadas ( hard corn tortillas)
Spread a thin layer of sour cream on the tostada. Sprinkle queso fresco on top. add tomatoes' and or salsa. Spread black beans on top. 
It is super quick and easy to make.  About 10-20 min for the beans, and how ever long it takes you to assemble your tostada. I have found this to be quite addictive. You can serve with your favorite spanish rice, lettuce, cabbage, mango or papaya. 

I have found that most of the cheeses are mild and fresh tasting.
Don't be shy and try those cheeses. 
Happy Eating!

No comments: