Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trash

So I was thinking the other day bout trash and how much of it there is. Then I thought, what if I kept a journal of all the things I throw away (like people do for food and other things). I started thinking about my day and what I had thrown away that could have been recycled or used again. The red cups I use everyday at work came to mind. Usually I use one every day. I have been throwing them away without any thought for about 5 years. I was thinking in one month I would have used about 31 cups! And that is just at work! Then I began thinking about how many that would be in a year...
11,315 cups in one year! (this is just a rough guess, it's probably way under) WOW that number blew my mind! So I have made the resolve to use one cup until it breaks or something else happens to it and to be more conscious of what I am doing.

Also I decided not to do a trash log it would be too gross :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Averaging a cup a day would actually give you 365...

However, it might be more reasonable to assume that the faculty would use something on the order of that many cups in a year...but its probably still a pretty sizable exaggeration.

Nancy said...

Thank you for not keeping a trash log. At least thank you for not posting it. Yuck. Could you imagine? Good luck on the cup usage. Nevermind thinking about the germs lurking under the rim as eash day of reuse passes. ;)

Nancy said...

each... I mean. Not eash. I don't know what eash is.
:)
Is there a way to edit my comment? Not sure.