Friday, December 12, 2008

The Burn


Monday Justin went to school early and he was soo nice and wonderful and turned our furnace on. It was so fabulous to wake up to a warm house. But after I got up and got ready for work I realized that I had no idea how to turn it off.
We have an ancient furnace, circa 1945, no joke. So I looked inside and saw 2 nobs 1 I figured was for the pilot light and the other was the gas. I was having turning issues, I could not get the gas to turn off. On my second attempt my hand slipped and met up with a very hot object. So I decided to stop for a min and put some ice on it. It didn't look to bad, so I attempted to turn it off again. After the 4th try or so I got the gas off.
After a few min at work I noticed I had a nice burn on my hand (about an inch long.) Thankfully it didn't hurt, I was happy about that.
When I got home I told Justin about it and what happened, he laughed and said I was silly. Well a little bit later that night he went to turn of the furnace and also got a burn on his hand. :)
The image is pretty close to what our furnace looks like, except on the inside the Gas shut off valve is right next to the burner. Which is what I burned my hand on. After 5 days the burn is looking pretty sad. The blister popped and left me with some nice dark discoloration. It is also beginning to scab over in parts and itch.

On A Good Note Justin is done with classes!! I am so happy for him. Monday is the only day he has finals! He has done good this term and I am sooo happy he gets a few weeks off to relax!

No comments: