Thursday, September 20, 2012

2D design

This is part one of a two part post. For those that are interested I am going to post some of the art that I have been doing in class and what not. You don't have to read all the captions they are mostly for me so I have a record of what I was thinking:) 
Anyways hope you enjoy it!

Sorry some of them are not great pictures and are totally pointed at the wrong direction. 


Adventure collage So for class one day we took pictures all over campus.  This is my Asymmetrical piece. I was inspired by two things. Our neighbors baby died over the weekend. which was sad and depressing.  I wanted to give it the feeling of the world falling apart. And the Series of Unfortunate events.
Our teacher said it was like the collage just gave up. I liked that. 


Adventure Collage part 2 So this I really like. But the style it totally copied from an artist we looked at in class.  
Bits and pieces
literally bits and pieces I didn't use in my adventure collage.

Cardnal

So we were supposed to used the golden ratio to compose two different works. I just used the squares and rectangles to fracture the colors. I liked the effect.

Vacation with Great Grandma and Aunt Mona

When my great Aunt Mona died I was able to get these super cool vacation books and several  postcards. I used the golden rectangle to organize each piece. In class I could feel the eyes rolling when I put this up. It is totally a scrap book page right!  So I had to defend it. I really like it.

Reaganing

For our final project we had to pick an old master and do something in their style.  Compositionally or  whatever. Warhol is not really a old master, but I got permission. I was trying to give the same idea as what was done with Marilyn Monroe. The idea that she was no longer a person but an object that is manufactured for the masses. I feel like the same thing is happening with Reagan's identity. His image and identity has been romanticized and restructured taking away his humanity. I also liked Warhols use of gold, like the old Christian religious icons. I felt the gold background was appropriate. I really wish I could have done it on a more monumental scale, and actually used silk screen, But I didn't have money to go buy a huge board, silk screen and paint. 

Cubisim

These images all come from National geographic. Those photographers are amazing!! This looks way better bigger. This size makes it a bit busy. And it is a bad picture.
Just imagine the green and reds super vibrant.

15

Line drawing adventure!  So we took those same photographs and made line drawings of them. I had a lot of fun with the project. I would have made more if I had more time. This is the best one. I tried things out on 2 and 51. I can not take credit for the look of these ones either. We looked at another artist in class and I took several things that I really liked from what we saw. These ones you also need to open up and see closer to see the lighter colors. 

2

51

Cubist 2

So while making my cubist collage I came upon these images. and I had to put them together.  It really visualises the question "What is the cost of our American lifestyle?"
Also, I don't hate Natile Portman or anything.
I really would like to do a whole series of these. 

Concentric lines.
So I love doing this I did this lots in high school on lots of papers. It is very hypnotic to make and look at.   I would love to do a floor like this. It would be so cool.

Negative Space drawing

I literally dumped out my craft drawer and drew it. It is playful.

The second in the series
This one makes me feel like crying. I love how the colors vibrate and it is hard to focus on one image.  Justin told me about the chocolate industry a while ago. How lots of harvesters use child slave labor to get the chocolate. Heartbreaking.

I am not finished with this one yet, But I like how the coloring flattens out the detailed line drawing.  

100,000 marks

For class we were to make over 100,000 marks on a page.  I had been wanting to do something food related for class, and got the inspiration when Justin was testing the Ph in the fish tank. What I did was make litmus paper and then spray and flung stuff at it. The colors were so brilliant and it was super fun to make!  I wish I had taken batter pictures of them because the colors are all faded, well really they are decomposing. Which I like the idea of as well. 








 That was 2D design. 

Next up drawing1



















No comments: