Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Terrible Termites, and Other News

So, Friday afternoon Justin and I decided it was time to clean out our back room and get it ready for our guests this summer. We took out my work desk and were planning on moving the book shelf over to make room for Air Mattresses and Luggage. Upon moving the bookshelf Justin noticed that part of the base board had crumbled off. Then when he looked at the backing board of our book shelf was also falling apart. Upon a little closer inspection we found that 85% of the base boards had bubbled and were soft to the touch!!! Gross! So we decided to quickly move almost everything out of the room. Because we knew there would be spraying and some construction work needed. We contacted our landlord. I guess about 5 years ago there was some termite damage to that room. They had called in some professionals to take care of the problem, and there had not been any trouble since. Our landlord wants to try and take care of the problem himself. He thinks he can spray with malathion and remove the base boards and be fine. The problem Justin and I see is that the kind of termites that we have live outside and venture inside to eat. We also think they have been living inside of the old rotting bushes in our yard. My parents were very nice and let us stay at their house while he sprays.

And the reason why we are spending time at my parents when he sprays is because I am pregnant! This also explains why I have missed parties and have not been my lively and creative self (which Justin will attest to). I hate morning sickness! I mostly am through the sick part, I still get nauseated everyday, but it is usually not to bad. I just can not think about food, or look in a refrigerator for too long without getting sick. Yesterday was fun, Justin and I got to see what our baby looks like! Yippie! It was pretty cool, and made things more real than me just feeling crappy and gaining weight. My due date is December 4th! I can not believe how quickly it is coming!!!!!!

5 comments:

Heather Melo said...

Congrats, Katie! I didn't know you were pregnant! And sorry about the termites. Gross!

Draper Duo said...

Congratulations! Hope that landlord gets rid of those termites for good.

Anonymous said...

OH no for the termites and HOORAY for being pregnant!!

katie said...

Thanks! We are both very excited!

Becca said...

Hey Congrats on being pregnant!! December 4th is my Grandpa's Birthday!!!