Thursday, October 8, 2009

Banned Books

I can totally understand some books NOT being in Elementary Schools, Jr. High's and High Schools.
But, after reading some of the books in the top 100, I was shocked. A light in the Attic, James and the Giant Peach, Tom Sawyer, just to name a few. (I still can't figure out what could be offensive in James and the Giant Peach? Maybe the aunts, they were pretty mean...) Anyways, I found the information interesting and I thought I would share the web site I found this information on with you. On the site there are also graphs that show the biggest reasons why books were banned, who asked them to be banned, and where the books were to be banned from. Also, you can look at the top ten books banned by year.
For me, it reminded me how important communication is with children and young adults. You have to basically trust that you have taught them good principals and trust that they can make good decisions. ( a responsibility that seems to be getting a little more real for me now...)
Here is the link to the American Library Associations Website
Personally, I love reading and I am glad that my parents never limited what I was reading.

No comments: